Transport for London has issued a statement after an explosion in which a ULEZ camera and a surrounding property were damaged in Sidcup.

The explosion happened in Willersley Avenue just before 7.20pm on December 6.

The incident is being treated as a deliberate act, which was caused by what police think to be a low sophistication improvised explosive device (IED).

It is believed a ULEZ camera which had been installed on the road earlier that day was cut down at 5.15pm that afternoon.

An explosion occurred around 90 minutes later, at which point police were called.

A spokesperson for TfL told the News Shopper: “The Met Police is investigating this matter and at this stage, we understand that they are treating it as a deliberate act.”

Police are keeping an “open mind” as to whether or not there is a connection between the camera being cut down and the planting of the explosive device.

At this stage, the incident is not being treated as terrorism.

The explosion caused further damage to the camera, as well as to some nearby vehicles and a residential property was also damaged.

Resident Ms Sinclair heard a “bomb-like” explosion, and was inside her house with her two sons, aged three and five, as the incident unfolded.

The mum of two sons said that it was a miracle that no one was “seriously hurt or killed" and her family was lucky to have come out of the house unharmed.

Ms Sinclair, who has lived in Willersey Avenue for two and a half years, said after the explosion erupted it tore through her three-year-old son’s bedroom.

She explained: “Everything is destroyed, my two children would have usually been getting ready at the time the explosion happened.

“Luckily, they were not in there. You don’t think anything is going to happen to your child’s safe space.

“It’s crazy to think.”

Police say no members of the public have been injured.

The remains of the explosive was recovered by officers and have been sent to a specialist team for forensic examination.

Officers are also carrying out CCTV enquiries in and around the area.

At this stage, there has been no arrests made in connection with this incident, and enquiries remain ongoing.

Although this is being treated as an isolated incident, police are asking anyone who sees suspicious activity or a suspicious device on or nearby to a ULEZ camera to “not approach” and should contact police by calling 999.

Detective Chief Superintendent Trevor Lawry, Commander for the Bexley area said: “Thankfully, nobody was injured as a result of this incident, but it is extremely concerning that an explosive device seems to have been deliberately placed in a public place.

“This could have very easily resulted in members of the public being very seriously injured.

“Because of the seriousness of this incident, we are making urgent enquiries to try and identify anyone involved, and officers with specialist expertise and capability from our Counter Terrorism Command are leading the investigation.

“This was an extremely dangerous incident that could have resulted in innocent members of the public being injured or worse.

“If you have any information that could assist our investigation, then I would urge you to get in touch immediately.”

Anyone with information that could assist with the investigation should call 101 quoting CAD 5819/06DEC.