A flat fire caused by items being left on a hob in Woolwich has prompted a safety reminder from firefighters.

The blaze damaged part of a five-room flat on the second floor on John Wilson Street on November 28.

No injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, stemming from items left on a cooking hob.

Firefighters were first called to the scene at 12.56pm and crews from Plumstead, East Greenwich, Erith and Greenwich fire stations brought the fire under control by 1.43pm.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson warned, "It’s really important that you don’t leave cooking unattended and never leave items, such as tea towels, near to a cooker or a hob, because they can catch alight very easily and flames can spread quickly."

They added: "Please also take care with loose clothing that can easily catch fire.

"Don’t lean over the hob when cooking and roll up sleeves that might hang over the stove."