A man has been charged with the murder of a 16-year-old boy after a fatal crash in Orpington.

Tafari Thompson-Mintah, who was riding a moped, was killed in a crash in Sevenoaks Way at 3.30pm on October 9.

Joseph Barnes, of no fixed address, was arrested on October 12 on suspicion of murder.

The 40-year-old was charged yesterday (October 14) and will appear in custody at Bromley Magistrates’ Court tomorrow (October 16).

Tafari’s family have since launched a Go Fund Me to raise money for his funeral following his death.

They said: “We are heart broken by the sudden, tragic and devastating loss of our son, Tafari Mintah.

“On October 9th my beautiful son only 16 years old was tragically killed by a hit and run driver in Sevenoaks Way at approximately 3.32pm.

“Our family and friends are so distraught as Tafari had his whole life ahead of him.

“We appreciate your thoughts and prayers and if you feel you would like to support us with this profound loss we kindly ask for your financial support to help with giving Tafari a burial fit for a King.

“He did not deserve to pass away so sudden and before his time.

“No love one should have to deal with such a sudden loss of a child, brother, grandson or uncle.

“Tafari has left behind four siblings.

“Any financial support would be truly appreciated.

“Truly Thankful for helping towards Tafari’s funeral.

“Thanks for reading and take Care.”

A spokesperson for Metropolitan Police said: “Detectives investigating the death of the death of 16-year-old Tafari Thompson-Mintah have charged a man with murder.

“Joseph Barnes – 40 (14.09.83) of no fixed abode was arrested on Thursday, 12 October on suspicion of murder.

“He was charged on Saturday, 14 October and will appear in custody at Bromley Magistrates’ Court on Monday, 16 October.

“Tafari’s family have been updated with this development and continue to be supported by officers.

“Tafari was riding a moped along Sevenoaks Way in St Paul's Cray when the incident happened at around 15:30hrs on Monday, 9 October.

“Despite the efforts of emergency services, he died at the scene.

"His family continue to be supported by officers.”