A man has been jailed for life after he beat his frail grandad to death and left his body in a cupboard.

Jack Forde punched, stamped, stabbed and poured boiling water on his 74-year-old grandad Christopher Martin in a brutal attack at their home on Wild Goose Drive in New Cross.

Their family said the question of why this horrific took place has not been answered and that no amount of time will heal their “tortuous imaginations”.

The court heard that Forde was “disconnected from reality” at the time of the attack and believed that he was his sister Anushka.

Forde, aged 25, was jailed for life on Monday (July 17) after he pleaded guilty to manslaughter by diminished responsibility.

Forde moved in with his grandad when he was released from prison in March 2021, just months after he had stabbed two strangers.

These attacks took place in September 2020 when a man from Peckham woke up at 5.30am to find that Forde had broken into his home and was sitting opposite him, speaking incoherently.

Forde then took a knife from the man’s kitchen, chased him and stabbed him multiple times.

He then fled the scene and boarded a bus where he stabbed a 79-year-old man in the neck, causing a wound which needed 40 stitches.

A jury found him not guilty by reason of insanity and Forde was released back into the community under a supervision order requiring him to take epilepsy medication.

News Shopper: Jack FordeJack Forde (Image: Met Police)

Mr Martin, who had recently lost his wife of 55 years to Covid, took his grandson into his home when he was released.

Forde’s then-partner said: “He had a very close relationship with his grandfather.

"Mr Martin would give him money and a telephone when he came out of prison, and would drive him round and give him whatever he needed.”

However, the court heard that Mr Martin began sleeping with a knife under his pillow to protect himself from his grandson.

Days before the killing Forde became upset with his grandad for helping his pregnant partner move out to a new home.

At around 4am on May 28, 2021, Forde used his grandad’s phone to FaceTime his partner.

He was hitting himself and said “Anushka get out, get out” before opening a cupboard door to reveal his grandad inside.

She saw Forde stamp on him before pouring boiling water over his head while saying “burn in hell”.

It is believed that Mr Martin was already dead by this point. His cause of death was given as blunt force trauma to the head, chest and abdomen – probably from a combination of punches, kicks and stamps.

Forde warned his partner that if she hung up he would go to her mum’s house. He was arrested in the street after her mum phoned 999 and saw him walking past.

Mr Martin was found dead in the cupboard. His heartbroken family wept in court as details of the savage attack were recounted.

“Chris worked hard for his whole life to take care of his family," a victim statement from the family said.

“The horrific circumstances and the reality of this disgusting and most cowardly attack on a frail and vulnerable old man has left everyone with broken hearts.

“We are all devastated, especially knowing that this murder was committed by a close member of the family.”

They added: “No amount of time will heal our wounds or our tortuous imaginations.”

In mitigation, John Ryder KC said it was “extremely regrettable” that Forde did not receive the support that “should have been available” following his release under the supervision order.

Soon after his release he stopped taking his medication and began to abuse drink and drugs.


Mr Ryder told the court that Forde was “born an addict” as his mum had abused drugs during her pregnancy.

He said Forde was then subjected to violent abuse throughout his childhood.

“Perhaps ironically, he has killed the person, together with his grandmother, who he most loved and for whom he has the most gratitude,” Mr Ryder said.

Judge Anthony Leonard KC said the injuries Forde had inflicted were “truly horrific”.

He sentenced Forde to life in prison with a minimum term of 10 years and five months.