KENT Fire Brigade has urged Bromley residents to take extra special care when using chip pans.

Recent figures published by the fire brigade show fires involving overheated oil and fat cause more injuries in Kent than any other fires.

Kent Fire Brigade Station Commander Richard McMunn said: “Old-style chip pans can be a real menace if not used with care.”

From April 2000 to December 2000, there were 744 accidental domestic property fires in Kent of which 300 were caused by overheated oil and fat and 39 people were injured.

The most common victims are late night revellers returning home who get hungry and fall asleep while their chip pan bursts into flames.

The Fire Brigade has warned people not to try to put burning chip pans out by themselves.

Mr McMunn said: “If your chip pan does catch alight get out and get the Fire Brigade out.”