A restaurant owner was successfully prosecuted by Greenwich Council after evidence was found of staff smoking shisha inside the kitchen and customers smoking inside.

Mr Aslam of Nine Lounge, a restaurant located on the ninth floor of the Raddison Red hotel in Greenwich Peninsular, pleaded guilty to 14 personal and company charges and was told to pay fines and costs totalling £6,035.

The personal and company charges included breaking smoking and fire safety regulations, failing to properly maintain CCTV and blocking emergency exits.

News Shopper: Emergency exits blocked in Nine LoungeEmergency exits blocked in Nine Lounge (Image: Greenwich Council)

Since the Health Act 2006 came into force on July 1 2007, all indoor public places, workplaces and work vehicles are required to be smoke free.

Councillor Ann-Marie Cousins, Cabinet Member for Community Safety and Enforcement, said: “We would always rather work with shisha bars to ensure they operate legally rather than prosecute them.

“But shisha smokers are at risk of the same kinds of diseases as cigarette smokers – such as heart disease, cancer, respiratory disease and problems during pregnancy.

“Second-hand smoke from shisha pipes is also dangerous because it contains harmful substances like carbon monoxide, toxic chemicals, and toxic particles.

“That’s why it’s incredibly important that shisha bars operate within the law and make sure if they do sell shisha, it is happening outside and not indoors.”

Have you got a story for us? You can contact us here.

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to keep up with all the latest news.

Sign up to our newsletters to get updates sent straight to your inbox.