A rapist who was caught after his DNA from a robbery was linked to a rape two years before, has been jailed for 16-and-a-half years in prison.

On Friday, July 8, 2022, at Southwark Crown Court, Mohammed Tarik was sentenced to 16-and-a half years imprisonment.

Tarik, from Bayswater in Westminster, previously pleaded guilty to four counts of rape, assault by occasioning actual bodily harm and assault by penetration in relation to a 2019 attack, and assault by occasioning actual bodily harm and robbery in relation to a 2021 incident.

The prosecution also successfully applied for a sexual harm prevention order.

On November 11, 2019, the 21-year-old spent more than an hour following and trying to engage with a homeless victim walking through central London, before violently attacking her near St Thomas’ Hospital.

Police say the victim was left with a bloodied and bruised face and was told, by Tarik, that no one would believe her or help her as she was homeless.

During a police investigation, CCTV footage capturing Tarik featured on Crimewatch, but this did not lead to him being identified as the attacker.

According to police, Tarik attempted to chat up another woman walking through Bayswater in the evening on October 30, 2021.

When the victim did not reciprocate his interest, he tried to drag her into an alleyway and attacked her.

Tarik tried to restrain the victim by putting his hands around her neck and applying pressure.

Tarik was disturbed by passers-by and tried to run away, taking the victim’s phone.

He was then caught by members of the public who called the police.

Carly Loftus, from the CPS, said: “Mohammed Tarik targeted women when they were most vulnerable – while they were alone and in the dark.

“His attacks were vicious and in retaliation to his advances being rejected.

“Tarik raped his first victim for 30 minutes in a prolonged and sustained assault before cruelly telling her that no one would care about her because she was homeless. “The prosecution case included DNA evidence obtained during the first attack.

“After Tarik was caught for the second attack, he provided a DNA sample to police which was found to match the DNA in the rape case from two years before.

“This forensic link meant Tarik had nowhere to turn.

“These victims have suffered severe mental trauma as a result of Tarik’s behaviour. The first victim felt she could no longer live in this country and moved back to her native country.

“I hope these convictions give the victims some sense of closure in the knowledge that justice has been served.

“Sexual offences are some of the most harrowing cases that we prosecute.

“The CPS is committed to working with the police to bring sexual predators to justice.”

Have you got a story for us? You can contact us here.

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to keep up with all the latest news.

Sign up to our newsletters to get updates sent straight to your inbox.