A huge fire which broke out in a derelict building in Beckenham is said to have been caused by a firework.

Firefighters tackled a fire at an empty residential building on Southend Road just before 8pm on Tuesday, May 3.

Fire crews remained at the scene for several hours to dampen down the area.

The roof and second floor of the three-storey building were destroyed and the first floor of the building was also damaged by the fire.

The cause of the fire is believed to have involved a firework.

There were no reports of any injuries, and the blaze was under control by 10pm.

The Brigade’s Control Office took 21 calls about the fire.

Six fire engines and 40 firefighters from Forest Hill, Bromley, Woodside, Lewisham, Beckenham and Lee Green attended the scene.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Fireworks can be spectacular, but they are explosives and can cause serious injury if handled irresponsibly.

"We encourage people to attend organised fireworks displays instead of using fireworks privately, but if you do choose to use fireworks, make sure you have enough space, buy them from a reputable, licensed seller and always look for a CE mark to make sure they’re safe.

“Never drink alcohol and set off fireworks and don’t throw fireworks or return to a firework once it has been lit.

“Remember that fireworks are explosives, and as such should be treated with respect and only used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and the Firework Code.”

Have you got a story for us? You can contact us here.

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to keep up with all the latest news.

Sign up to