A Peckham flat has been left damaged by a fire after smoke detectors failed to sound the alarm.

Part of a four-roomed, third floor flat on Hanover Park suffered fire damage on Saturday.

No injuries were reported.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus led five people to safety via an internal staircase.

Four fire engines and approximately 25 firefighters attended the scene.

The service was called at 12:07am and flames were under control by 1:46 am.

An extractor hood is believed to have been involved in starting the fire.

In the wake of the blaze, a spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade has stressed the importance of frequently checking that smoke detectors are working.

They said: “Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to a flat fire on Hanover Park in Peckham.

“Part of a four-roomed flat on the third floor of the building was damaged by fire.

“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus assisted five people to safety via an internal staircase.

“There were no reports of any injuries.

“There were smoke alarms fitted inside the affected flat, but they didn’t raise the alarm.

“This incident is a reminder about the importance of ensuring you have working smoke alarms in every room where a fire could start in your home, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen.

“Make sure to test them regularly.

“The Brigade was called at 0037 and the fire was under control by 0146.

“Fire crews from Peckham, New Cross, Old Kent Road and Brixton fire stations attended the scene.

“The cause of the fire is believed to have involved an extractor hood.”

Have you got a story for us? You can contact us here.

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to keep up with all the latest news.

Sign up to our newsletters to get updates sent straight to your inbox.