The family of a Greenwich student brutally killed at a New Year's Eve squat party have paid tribute to him after four men were convicted of murder. 

Bill Henham, 24, attended the party in a disused building on North Street, Brighton, East Sussex, while out celebrating in the early hours of January 1, 2020, when he was beaten, kicked, stamped on and struck with a wooden bannister spindle.

He was then dropped off a balcony of a flat-roof terrace where his body was found in a recessed courtyard.

Dushane Meikle, 28, of Amberley Drive, Hove, Gregory Hawley, 29, of no fixed address, Lamech Gordon-Carew, 20, of Cheeseman Close, Hampton, Middlesex and 18-year-old Alize Spence, of Academy Gardens, Croydon, were convicted of his murder on Friday following a 10-week trial at Maidstone Crown Court.

News Shopper: Billy Henham, (top row left to right) Gregory Hawley, Lamech Gordon-Carew (bottom row left to right) Alize Spence and Duschane MeikleBilly Henham, (top row left to right) Gregory Hawley, Lamech Gordon-Carew (bottom row left to right) Alize Spence and Duschane Meikle

After the conviction, Mr Henham's family said in a statement: "Bill, our son and Rory’s brother, was cruelly and coldly taken from us.

"It is hard to describe the horror of losing a family member to murder, especially in such a brutal and needless way. We cannot fathom as to why anyone would inflict such cruelty on someone so helpless.

"In the weeks before his death, Bill had been living with us at home whilst taking a break from his studies at Ravensbourne University in London, where he studied digital film production. His love of art, films and film-making has left us with many examples of his creativity.

"He was a kind and peaceful young man; a free spirit who happily chatted to those he came across.

"We can well imagine, in his impaired and vulnerable condition that night, he was drawn towards the squat party and went into the North Street building not understanding the danger he was putting himself in."

CCTV from outside a corner shop showed Bill swaying as he rolled a cigarette, before eventually wandering towards the entrance of the disused building.

He suffered "a sustained and significant" assault that left him with over 60 injuries including multiple broken ribs and a brain injury.

All four men pleaded not guilty but after a trial at Maidstone Crown Court, all were found guilty by a jury of the murder.

Prosecutor James Mulholland QC told the court that although the motive for Bill's murder remained "unclear", all four men either participated in the physical attack or deliberately helped or encouraged one or more of the others to do so.

All four will be sentenced at the same court at a date to be set.

Have you got a story for us? You can contact us here.

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to keep up with all the latest news.

Sign up to our newsletters to get updates sent straight to your inbox.