London Mayor Sadiq Khan has paid tribute to the victims of the July 7 bombings to mark the 16th anniversary of the terror attacks.

Fifty-two people died and more than 700 were injured when a series of co-ordinated explosions hit three London Underground trains and a double-decker bus in 2005.

Marking the anniversary, Mr Khan offered his thoughts to the victims as well as his thanks to the city’s emergency services for their “heroic efforts” on that day.

He said: “Our capital stands together to reflect and remember the innocent victims, and our thoughts are with all those whose lives were changed forever.

News Shopper: Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick lays a wreath at the 7/7 Memorial, in Hyde ParkMetropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick lays a wreath at the 7/7 Memorial, in Hyde Park

“As we mark 16 years since the attacks on our city, I want again to pay tribute to the heroic efforts of our emergency services and transport workers, who ran towards danger to help people and save lives.

“The way our city responded that day and continues to stand united against terrorism shows the world that now and forever, those who seek to destroy our way of life in London will never win.

“London will always stand defiantly against the evils of hatred and terrorism. Our values of freedom, tolerance and mutual respect will always prevail over those who seek to divide us.”

What happened that day?

A group of three suicide bombers set off from Leeds, West Yorkshire, at about 4am in a hired Nissan Micra and drove to Luton, Bedfordshire, to meet their fourth accomplice on July 7, 2005.

The gang then travelled by train into central London carrying rucksacks packed full of explosives and arrived at London King's Cross station at 8.23am.

Three of the men, Mohammad Sidique Khan, Shehzad Tanweer and Germaine Lindsay, entered the Underground and boarded separate trains.

Ringleader Khan got into the second carriage of a westbound Circle line train heading towards Paddington and detonated his device close to the second set of double doors at Edgware Road just before 8.50am.

Tanweer boarded an eastbound Circle line train and set off his device at the rear of the second carriage between Liverpool Street and Aldgate at the same time.

Lindsay caused the most devastation when he detonated his suicide bomb on a southbound Piccadilly Line between King's Cross and Russell Square at 8.49am.

Later, a bomb was also detonated on a bus at Tavistock Square at 9.47am - an hour after the other explosions.

Hasib Hussain boarded the number 30 bus and detonated his device at the rear of the upper deck, tearing the vehicle apart as it passed the British Medical Association.