A second Orpington brother has been sentenced in connection with a violent assault which left a boy with long-term brain damage.

German student Daniel Ezzedine was attacked in Canterbury city centre following a verbal confrontation between two groups of young people during the early evening of June 6 2019.

This week Belcher Barron, 19, of Longbury Drive pleaded guilty to violent disorder along with six others, after his older brother Jack was found guilty of GBH and jailed earlier this year.

News Shopper: Rose Lane, where the assault took place

Belcher received an 18-month suspended prison sentence, 200 hours of unpaid work and a 60-day training order.

Shortly before the attack, Jack Barron gathered bricks into a bag, which he swung at the 17-year-old victim’s head, sending him to the ground.

Eighteen-year-old Luke Fogorolli joined in by kicking the victim’s head, leaving him injured as they ran away.

Witnesses said they had heard the two assailants boasting and laughing after the assault.

The victim suffered serious head injuries, leaving him with long-term brain damage which requires ongoing treatment.

The two defendants were sentenced on January 15, Barron to six years in a young offender institution.

Five others pleaded guilty to violent assault alongside Belcher Barron on Tuesday, June 14.

Michael Murray, 18, of St Gregory's Road, Canterbury, received a 15-month suspended prison sentence, 200 hours of unpaid work and a 30-day training order.

Nancie Lee, 18, of St Gregory's Road, Canterbury, received a two-year community order, 150 hours of unpaid work and a 30-day training order.

Charlie Golding, 17, from Canterbury, who can now be named following the lifting of reporting restrictions, received a two-year youth rehabilitation order, 150 hours of unpaid work and will be placed on an intensive surveillance and supervision programme.

He also has a night time curfew and a city centre ban.

Two other boys aged 16 and 17, who cannot be named for legal reasons, received two-year youth rehabilitation orders.

Senior investigating officer Detective Inspector Ross Gurden of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate said: "Whilst none of those sentenced this week were directly responsible for the attack that led to the victim suffering such tragic and long-lasting injuries, it is safe to say that their appalling behaviour on the day contributed to a level of violence that simply cannot be tolerated.

"They taunted and goaded a group of students visiting the city and sought confrontation with them over an extended period of time.

"Our thoughts remain with the victim and his family. I hope these latest court results, combined with the previous lengthy prison sentences that were imposed, have provided them with some comfort.

"We recognise that this offence also had an impact on the wider community in Canterbury, who responded by showing support for the victim, and I hope these further sentences also give them a sense of closure on the events of that day."