Two men have been jailed for the murder of an 18-year-old knocked of his motorbike and stabbed to death in Woolwich Common.

Cameron Murfitt was rammed off his bike by a stolen car before he was repeatedly stabbed in what was described by the judge as a "pointless waste of a young life."

Mason Bridle, an 18-year-old from Lewisham, has now been sentenced to life imprisonment to serve a minimum of 16 years.

Mario Gruda, 23 and from Eltham, was convicted of the lesser offence of manslaughter and sentenced to 14 years imprisonment.

Mario Gruda, 23 / Metropolitan Police

Mario Gruda, 23 / Metropolitan Police

The attack, in the Woolwich Common area of south east London, was carried out in broad daylight in a busy street on the afternoon of March 15 last year.

The killers, who were both full-time Class A drug dealers, drove off, leaving Mr Murfitt to die of a fatal stab wound to his thigh.

On Friday, Judge Andrew Lees sentenced Bridle to detention for life, with a minimum term of 16 years, while Gruda was jailed for 14 years, of which he will serve two thirds.

"Cameron Murfitt was but 18 when he was killed. His death is a pointless waste of a young life," the judge said.

The victim's mother, Samantha Murfitt, said told of her "heartbreak" in a victim impact statement read out in court.

Cameron Murfitt/Family handout

Cameron Murfitt/Family handout

"All I can say is that the moment Cameron's heart stopped beating mine did too. I also died that day," she said.

"Cameron was dead, and I was left without a son and his sister was left without a brother."

She added: "All I could ever ask for was for his murderer to be brought to justice.

"Of course, Cameron is never coming home, but this does give me some closure now."

Met Police said that on Sunday, 15 March 2020, police were called to Academy Road, junction with Shooters Hill, in Woolwich, to reports of a stabbing.

During trial the court was told how Cameron had been knocked from his bike by a car being driven by Gruda.

When Cameron was knocked over, Bridle, who was a passenger in the car, got out and stabbed him multiple times.

Mason Bridle, 18 / Metropolitan Police

Mason Bridle, 18 / Metropolitan Police

The pair then drove off, leaving Cameron fighting for his life on the street.

Passers-by came to Cameron’s aid until police and paramedics arrived, but despite all their best efforts, he died at the scene.

A post-mortem examination found the cause of death to have been a stab wound to the thigh.