Doctors gave a man left with a fractured skull and traumatic brain injury following an attack near a Bexleyheath nightclub just one per cent chance to live.

The 28-year-old victim "had his life as he knew it robbed" from him with just one punch after a horrific 2019 attack carried out by Betrand Sisk, a man the victim had just met that night.

The victim has since faced a near impossible recovery, with his family were told to strongly prepare for worst, but 'remarkably,' he has now shown signs of recovery, although still faces extreme life-changing injuries.

Betrand Sisk, who was found to have consumed a cocktail of alcohol, cocaine and steroids before the attack, was yesterday sentenced to six years and six months imprisonment.

Betrand Sisk, sentenced to jail for an assualt in Bexleyheath

Betrand Sisk, sentenced to jail for an assualt in Bexleyheath

Met Police say Sisk and the victim, both aged 28, had met for pre-drinks in the hours before they went to a nightclub in The Broadway for a mutual friend's birthday party in December 2019.

Sisk became increasingly drunk and aggressive through the course of the evening and was ejected by venue staff, and then sent a stream of threatening messages to those still inside as he waited outside.

When the victim left with his partner and his sister at around 1:30am, Sisk approached and put his arm around him before delivering a single punch that felled the victim, causing him to strike his head on the floor.

Sisk then punched the victim's partner's sister, who had tried to intervene, before running away.

The victim was taken to hospital where he was found to have suffered a fractured skull and a traumatic brain injury from which he was not expected to recover. His family were told to prepare for the worst.

Remarkably, in the days following the victim began to show signs of response.

He spent several months in hospital, learning to speak, walk and eat again, and still continues to undergo intensive cognitive and physical rehabilitation due to the level of brain injury received.

Detective Inspector Jason Fitzpatrick, from the Met's Specialist Crime Command, said: "The victim's chance of survival at one point was considered to be less than one per cent - that is how close he came to death.

"His family raced to Scene and followed to hospital hospital when they were informed of what happened and had braced themselves to say goodbye to him.

"But for the expertise and care of medical staff, and sheer fortune, this could have been a very different investigation.

"I would like to thank both the victim and his family, who have supported us so well during the course of our investigation, and through the court. I hope this sentencing gives them some source of comfort as they continue his recovery.

"Sisk had no reason at all to attack the victim and his partner's sister as he did, and will now spend a considerable amount of time behind bars."

Sisk was arrested at an address close to the scene. He was also found in possession of a quantity of Class A drugs. He was remanded in custody.

Bertrand Alexander Sisk, 28, of South Lodge, Folkestone, was found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent at Woolwich Crown Court.

He had pleaded guilty to possessing a class A drug and assault occasioning actual bodily harm on a woman who he also assaulted. He was sentenced to six years and six months imprisonment on Wednesday, 5 May.