Officers were assaulted and one even knocked unconscious after revellers at an illegal party in Southwark reacted violently when police tried to shut it down.

Four people were arrested and 30 were reported for fines of £800 after the house party in Walworth was busted by police officers who were actually hunting for suspects from a robbery.

But the group "became hostile" as officers entered the party, at around 5:30am on Sunday, and threw drinks and other objects at them.

A 17-year-old was arrested on suspicion of stealing stolen goods, a 189-year-old male for handling stolen goods, a 17-year-old female on suspicion of violent disorder and stolen goods and a woman, 19, on suspicion of violent disorder and assaulting an officer.

Chief Inspector Richard Blears, from the Central South Command Unit, which covers Southwark, said: “Restrictions are still in place to protect lives; every person who attended this illegal gathering has acted selfishly and irresponsibly and has potentially put others at risk.

“Not only that, but some have even gone as far as physically harming the officers who attended the scene, which is totally unacceptable."

He added: "We will continue to enforce breaches of Covid-19 restrictions when they are alerted to us.”

In the early morning of Sunday, 28 February, officers were responding to a report of a robbery on Portland Street, SE17, in which the victim had been assaulted by two males and had his phone taken.

News Shopper:

While responding to this incident, the officers were directed to an address on Hopwood Road, where the suspects had been seen to run after the robbery, and uncovered a house party inside.

Officers entered the address at about 05:30hrs, intending to find the suspects for the robbery; instead they identified a group of 30 people partying.

The group became hostile towards the officers as they looked to identify the suspects and close the party down, with drinks and other items thrown at them.

In total, eight officers received a variety of injuries from this backlash, with one officer being knocked unconscious and another suspected of sustaining a fracture to their hand.

The decision was made for the officers to withdraw from the premises for their own safety and other units were called to the address. This allowed officers to manage attendees leaving the party one at the time. In total, 30 people were reported for fines of £800.

Officers remained at the location and continued to make enquiries.

A 17-year-old male was identified by the robbery victim as he left the address as the person who took his mobile phone. He was arrested on suspicion of robbery.

When officers searched a 19-year-old man, the victim’s stolen phone was found on his person. He was arrested on suspicion of handling stolen goods.

A 19-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder and assaulting a police officer.

A 17-year-old female was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder and handling stolen goods after she was searched and found to be carrying a number of different debit cards and an oyster card within her belongings, all with different names on them.

All four suspects were taken into custody at a south London police station. They were later bailed to return on date in late March.