The London Fire Brigade have released a warning about the dangers of candles and incense after a flat in a Greenwich towerblock caught fire last week.

Six fire engines and 40 firefighters were deployed to tackle the flat fire on February 10 at around 8am.

Part of the flat, on the second floor of a six-storey block on Parkside Avenue, was damaged by the fire.

Fortunately, around 40 people evacuated from the building before the LFB arrived, and there were no reports of any injuries.

News Shopper:

But the Brigade's fire investigators believe the fire was caused by an unattended candle, and the force is now warning how dangerous this can be.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Candles, incense sticks and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire.

"It’s really important that you never leave them unattended and keep them away from anything that could catch fire such as curtains, furniture or clothes.

"These items should always be held firmly in heat-resistant holders and placed on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over, and make sure you put them out entirely when you leave the room and especially before bed."

The Brigade was called at 0812 and the fire was under control by 0936. Fire crews from Greenwich, Lewisham, Deptford, New Cross, Lee Green and Forest Hill fire stations were at the scene.