Bromley Council will be making additional support available for those who have been left in financial hardship as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

The discretionary grant scheme is designed to help with essential living costs such as purchasing food or towards utility costs or clothing.

The additional £151k funding is being given as part of the Government’s Covid Winter Grant Scheme, with the initiative in operation until the end of March 2021.

It follows an earlier announcement, the week before Christmas, that around 11,000 children and young people would be eligible for £600k of additional support being given under the same government scheme.

The support includes a supermarket voucher distributed via their child’s school to help with costs, covering both the Christmas and the February half term period.

News Shopper:

Councillor Peter Morgan

Councillor Peter Morgan, Executive Councillor for Renewal, Recreation and Housing said: “A great many of us have faced financial challenges over the past few months as a result of the fallout resulting from the pandemic.

“We are also aware that some people are facing real financial hardship in very difficult situations indeed and this funding will help with urgent, one off payments in the winter months ahead.”

Councillor Morgan continued: “We are working with a range of voluntary groups who are able to assess people who come forwards and determine the level of need.

“I want to thank these groups for their support which will help ensure these limited monies are put to best use by those that need it most.”

A range of voluntary groups including organisations such as local representatives of Age UK and Citizens Advice can assess applicants, with each case treated strictly on its merits.

Applications on behalf of Bromley residents can also be made by suitable council staff including Case Workers, Housing Officers and Care Managers.

As part of the application process, supporting evidence will be required, including proof of income and benefit entitlement. Once this assessment has taken place, the Council will then be able to arrange suitable payment, including vouchers for food for instance.

More information can be found on the Bromley Council website.