A mural paying tribute to a black man who died in police custody has been painted opposite Lewisham police station.

Kevin Clarke died at Lewisham hospital after being restrained by a number of officers outside St Dunstan's College in Catford on March 9, 2018. An inquest into his death is taking place currently.

The artwork, which depicts Mr Clarke at different stages of his life, was organised by local anti-racism campaigners Adam Pugh and Sallie Foyehstreet, and painted by artist Carleen De Sozer.

News Shopper:

Mr Clarke's mother, Wendy Clarke, said: "This mural means a lot to us, and we hope will bring more awareness of the experiences of our family and too many others.

"As we go through the inquest into Kevin's death, it is a fitting tribute to moments in his life.

"We hope that soon the inquest will provide us with the answers we and the community need, and will encourage positive change to protect people like Kevin in future."

The mural was painted on hoardings surrounding Balfour Beatty's £375 million Lewisham Gateway development.

The developer has stated that the mural will not be painted over, despite the fact permission was not granted for its installation.

News Shopper:

The inquest today heard that communication between members of the emergency services "could and should have been better" when dealing with Mr Clarke, who suffered from mental illness.

Pc Elizabeth McAleenan said members of the London Ambulance Service (LAS) had seemed "calm and relaxed" at the scene after they arrived to treat Kevin Clarke.

Mr Clarke, a relapsing paranoid schizophrenic, was found in a school playing field and officers called an ambulance after the situation was deemed "a medical emergency".

He had been spoken to by police earlier that day, but was not sectioned, despite concern from staff at his residential housing block, the inquest heard.

Southwark Coroner's court heard that Mr Clarke's condition had "deteriorated quite badly" between the two instances.

Pc McAleenan accepted she was a "fairly inexperienced" officer, but said she had understood that the LAS would take charge of the situation upon arrival.

The inquest heard he then "lost consciousness" as he was led to an ambulance.