Pictures showing the aftermath of a Kidbrooke bin lorry crash which resulted in the driver’s death and life-threatening injuries to a child have emerged.

It is understood the lorry crashed into two parked cars in Broad Walk, near Rochester Way, before ploughing into a house at around 8am this morning.

The male driver was pronounced dead at the scene, while an 11-year-old was rushed to hospital in a critical condition.

News Shopper: Picture from the scene (@Kent_999s)

A local resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said the scene was "utterly tragic" after the lorry crashed just 30 metres from his home.

"About 8am when I was preparing school run for my kids, all (of a) sudden police, ambulance siren, helicopter sound went on," he told the PA news agency.

"Local traffic was controlled by police, then I heard people are talking about a lorry crashed into local house... then someone was sent off (in an) air ambulance.

"Bit emotional myself right now after hearing an 11-year-old kid is in serious condition.

"It's utterly tragic - my thoughts are with their loved ones."

One neighbour who lives a couple of doors down from the crash scene told the PA news agency she awoke to what sounded like "an earthquake".

The woman, who asked not to be named, said: "I was asleep at the time because my baby kept me awake in the middle of the night, until about 4.30am.

"So I woke up and just heard a loud bang - it sounded like an earthquake."

A tradesman working along Woolacombe Road at the time of the crash, around 100 metres from the scene, said the first he knew of an incident was when the air ambulance landed.

"I had no idea what happened before that," he said.

"I just heard then saw this air ambulance so I knew something was up."

Police are currently in the process of tracing the driver's next of kin.

A spokesman for Greenwich Council confirmed the bin lorry was not a council vehicle and that the driver was not an employee.

Fire station Commander Nathan Hobson, who was at the scene, said: “It was a challenging incident and it appears that a lorry collided with two cars and crashed into a house.

"Specialist Urban Search and Rescue crews attended the scene and efforts were made to free the lorry driver but sadly he was pronounced dead at the scene."

“The London Ambulance Service confirmed that they treated a further three patients.

"One was taken to a major trauma centre, one was taken to hospital, and one was discharged.”