Firefighters rushed to a blaze in Woolwich on Saturday evening after an unattended candle left on a TV stand set fire to a terraced house.

Pictures show emergency services at the scene after four fire engines and 25 firefighters attended Herbert Road in Woolwich at 8pm on Saturday, September 5.

Firefighters found the terraced house ablaze, with part of the ground floor damaged by the fire.

News Shopper:

Four people had already fled the building by the time LFB arrived, and there were no injuries reported.

Plumstead, Eltham and East Greenwich fire crews dealt with the blaze and had it under control by 10pm.

The Brigade’s Fire Investigators believe the fire was accidental and was caused by an unattended candle left on a TV stand.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire.

“It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.

“You should also ensure they are in a heat-resistant holder and placed on a stable surface so they won’t be knocked over.”

Firefighters’ candle safety top tips:

  • Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed.
  • These items should always be held firmly in heat-resistant holders and placed on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over.
  • Keep them away from materials that might catch fire – that's things like curtains, furniture, clothes and hair.
  • Be especially careful if you have a lot of flammable items in your home, like collections of books, magazines or papers.
  • Be aware that tea lights get very hot and without proper holders can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath.
  • To avoid accidents keep candles and other naked flames out of reach of children and pets.
  • LED candles can be a great alternative – they're safe even if you fall asleep or forget to blow them out