A man has been arrested after a woman was fatally stabbed at a Holiday Inn in Greenwich last night, with the suspect also in hospital after "falling from a height" shortly after.

Officers remain at the scene of the south east London hotel after the Met Police and London Ambulance Service were called shortly after 10am on Sunday, July 5.

A woman was found stabbed to death inside, and a man thought to be known to her remains fighting for his life under police guard after falling from a ledge.

Photos of the Holiday Inn, on Bugsby's Way, Greenwich, shows broken glass from a fifth-storey window lying scattered across the car park have emerged, and the hotel manager has said he'd received multiple complaints of loud shouting from guests before the incident occurred.

News Shopper:

The Met Police said a woman was found with serious injuries inside one of the rooms, and was declared dead at the scene.

Formal identification awaits, and police are in the process of informing her next of kin.

Then, with emergency services at the scene, a man who police believe was known to the woman fell from a height.

News Shopper:

The man, in his 30s, was been taken to hospital under police guard, where his condition is being treated as life-threatening.

He has now been arrested in connection with the incident, and detectives from Specialist Crime have launched an investigation.

Photographs have emerged on social media showing a broken window five storeys up on the hotel, and police remain on the scene today, although guests are still allowed into the hotel.

Broken glass was scattered across the car park underneath the smashed window, and an officer with a sniffer dog was seen searching the buses outside the front of the premises.

News Shopper:

A local, who said he did not want to be named, passed the scene whilst jogging, and said emergency services had gathered on a ledge on the second floor.

"As I understand the guy was still on the ground there," the witness told the PA news agency.

"I think there were three ambulances, three police cars and one ambulance helicopter and one fire brigade... this is around 11.10am."

Scotland Yard said they do not believe anybody else was involved in the incident and have asked anyone with information to come forward.

The hotel's general manager Umar Khattak, 38, said the man and woman involved in the incident checked in on Saturday.

While the hotel has been open during the pandemic to NHS staff at the nearby Nightingale hospital, Saturday was the first day it was open to non-key workers, Mr Khattak said.

He told PA: "We don't know exactly what happened. I was at home when I got a call from a staff member.

"There was some noise coming from the room and we had received calls from different guests about it. They said there was shouting."

Mr Khattak said police were called and officers moved all guests out of the fifth floor.

"We still don't know what exactly happened," he added. "I was not allowed into the hotel (by police) when I arrived.

"The fifth floor and second floor are sealed off at the moment."

The second floor looks out on to the ledge where the man is believed to have fallen, Mr Khattak said.

A crime scene remains in place and officers remain at the scene.

Anyone who has information that could assist police is asked to call 101 ref CAD 3272/5 July.