The family of Jake Kemp, who was mowed down and killed by a pizza delivery driver after a night out in Erith last year, have said they have had to "persevere through extreme adversity" during his murder trial, despite being "overwhelmed with sadness."

Jake's dad Maurice has described him as a "big-hearted bundle of mischief, who was never malicious, unkind or deliberately mean," adding that his son's organs have been donated in a "final act of generosity."

Jake Kemp, a 26-year-old from Barnehurst, was walking down Bexley Road in Erith after a night out on October 19 last year when his friend John Ambler drunkenly punched out at Uran a parked Toyota Prius at around 4:30am, damaging the wing mirror.

Uran Nabiev, who owned the car and had been sitting at home drinking, 'took the law into his own hands' and got into his car with the intent of using it as a weapon to exact revenge.

Nabiev, 63, mowed down and drove over Kemp, dragging him along the pavement for eight metres, killing him.

The defendant's murder trial concluded on Monday, June 22, after finding Nabiev guilty of manslaughter and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The pizza delivery driver was today sentenced to 14 years in prison.

News Shopper:

Mr Kemp was an air conditioning engineer from Barnehurst, and was described by family as "big-hearted."

Following Nabiev's conviction for manslaughter, the family released a statement stating how their son had died in the hit and run in Bexley last year.

"As a family we would like to thank our friends, community and the police for their continued support.

"We reserve special thanks for our QC, the Crown Prosecution Service and the witness service staff at the court. Also all the witnesses who gave evidence at the trial in difficult circumstances.

"We would give anything to have Jake back, he will continue to live in our hearts and will live on in many other lives.

"Please continue to respect our privacy during this difficult time allow us this time to grieve.”

In a victim statement, Mr Kemp was described by his father as a "bundle of mischief" who was never malicious, unkind or deliberately mean.

Maurice Kemp said: "Since Jake's death, we as a family have had to persevere through extreme adversity despite being overwhelmed with sadness."

The father of five said the family had agreed to donate his son's organs after all efforts to save him failed.

"Jake was young and healthy, he had a big heart," he said. "We were grateful Jake was able to give the gift of life to others.

"Jake helped so many people improve the quality of their lives, it was Jake's final act of generosity."

A jury deliberated for more than 19 hours to find Nabiev guilty of manslaughter and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The defendant was cleared of the more serious charges of murder and attempted murder.

Detective Inspector Jason Fitzpatrick, a homicide detective within Specialist Crime, said: “This case shows how actions have consequences and for Nabiev that is now 14 years behind bars.

“I hope that this offers some relief to Jake’s family who have remained stoic throughout this entire process.

"Their son was taken from them in such a cruel and awful way and they continue to have our support as they begin their grieving process.”

He added that Jake had done nothing wrong that night, and it seems incredible that a young man should lose his life, and his family left devastated, over such a trivial matter.

During the trial, jurors had watched the violent incident on Bexley Road, Erith, south London which was caught on graphic CCTV footage.

Nabiev drove up behind the two men, revved his engine and mounted the pavement.

Delivery driver Mr Ambler was hit in the arm and his friend ran off pursued by Nabiev who reversed and mounted the opposite pavement.

Mr Kemp stumbled and fell and seconds later Nabiev drove straight over him, with the body ending up in a pool of his own blood.

After the incident, Nabiev, a father of one, drove to a friend's house "shaking, panicking and slurring his words", the court heard.

Five hours after the incident, Nabiev booked a flight to his native country of Azerbaijan, boarding a flight later that day and leaving his car parked outside a friend’s house.

He was arrested when arrived back in the UK in November, and was then found guilty following a trial at the Old Bailey which concluded today, June 22.

Emma Currie, from the CPS, called it a “senseless act of violence that should have been avoided.”