The family of the railway worker who died with Covid-19 after being spat at in Victoria station are calling for a murder charge to be brought forward against the man responsible.

Colleagues of Belly Mujinga have also spoken out, saying they feel "scared" and "vulnerable" about the abuse they are receiving, and the protection they are getting.

A police investigation is currently underway more than a month after the 47-year-old mother and a colleague were spat and coughed at by a man claiming to be infected with Covid-19 on the concourse at the London transport terminal on March 22.

The railway ticket officer fell ill just over a week later, and died in Barnet Hospital on April 5.

Speaking during Prime Minister's Questions in the House of Commons on Wednesday lunchtime, Boris Johnson described her death as "tragic".

Mrs Mujinga's family have now called for the individual responsible to be brought to justice for his act, calling for a murder charge to be brought forward.

Agnes Ntumba, cousin of Mrs Mujinga, told Good Morning Britain said: "It is [murder].

"[It's] Disgusting. How can a human being react in that way to another human being. It's not right."

British Transport Police began enquiries on Monday and have ruled out a murder investigation, though they say the severity of the charge they bring is still up in the air.

Victoria station gate worker Victor Bangura, 34, told the PA news agency: "Imagine you see someone now like me and the next time they are dead.

"My whole body went into shock. I was very, very emotional. We are all vulnerable, in the same station, it could happen to any one of us."

Linda Freitas, who has worked at Victoria for 13 years, said: "I don't think people realise how much abuse we get. We have occasions where people become aggressive, it's very bad, it's scary."

She added she was "anxious and a bit scared" about the prospect of more commuters going back to work after the loosening of restrictions on Wednesday.

She said: "But eventually we will have to go back to normality. As long as we have protection and can keep our distance, but it will be hard.

"If it's done gradually, let's see, but if it's too many people then it will be a bit of a problem."

Another railway worker at Victoria station, who gave her name as Gabby, said that Wednesday was the first day staff had been given masks to wear.

She said: "There's not much being done to check all the staff, today is the first day we have had masks.

"There's been a few more people this morning. Trains have been coming in (on other days) with six or seven people but this morning there's maybe 25 people on trains.

"I'm really worried about more people coming through and how we're going to deal with them."

Ms Mujinga's union, the Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA), called for the compensation scheme to be extended to transport workers who die with coronavirus.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps told BBC Breakfast the incident was "just disgusting", adding: "Clearly, nobody should ever be spitting at somebody; that's a criminal offence and I know that investigation is under way."

A fundraising page for Ms Mujinga's family stood at more than £23,300 as of 2:30pm on Wednesday.

To donate, visit

Anyone with information on the attack is asked to contact British Transport Police by texting 61016 or calling 0800 405040 and quoting reference 359 of 11/05/20.