Three men and a 14-year-old have been arrested during a series of dawn raids across Abbey Wood during which 'gunshots' and 'explosions' were heard.

The raids, carried out at from around 3am on Wednesday, April 8, were the culmination of a long-running Met operation investigating the attempted murder of a 33-year-old man in December last year.

A total of eight warrants were executed in Abbey Wood and Greenwich as police targeted those believed to be connected with the crime, and responsible for reports of violent offending and firearm offences in the local area over the last six months.

Officers from the Specialist Firearms Command and Territorial Support Group (TSG) assisted with 'specialist method of entry equipment and skills' as police executed warrants at a travellers site in Abbeywood, SE2, and addresses at Combwell Street and West Parkside.

Four males, aged 14, 22, 22 and 56 were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, and searches of the properties remain ongoing.

The raids began in the early morning of Wednesday, with Greenwich MPS tweeting that there was an ongoing proactive police operation in Abbey Wood, and confirming that this was not terrorism related.

Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy, from Greenwich said: “The work of officers today has meant that violent individuals are taken off our streets; I hope it demonstrates our absolute ongoing commitment in bearing down on those intent on causing violence.

“Our proactive operations will continue, and will be tireless and unwavering. We will continue to work with colleagues at the Royal Borough of Greenwich to challenge crime.”



No-one was injured and no shots were fired during the operation, the Met added.

Councillor Danny Thorpe, leader of Greenwich Council, said "We will always work with our policing colleagues to keep the Royal Borough safe.

"As part of our ‘No Home for Harm’ campaign, we will also take the strongest possible enforcement action against any residents found responsible for crime and disorder within our communities”.