A 19 year-old man from Greenwich was found guilty today (February 25) of the murder of a teenager in Camden last August.

Arif Biomy, 19, of Wickham Lane, Greenwich, was found guilty of murder at a trial at the Inner London Crown Court.

He was convicted of murdering 16-year-old Alex Smith, who was stabbed to death just after 11pm on August 12, 2019.

A second man, Yusuf Yusuf, 19, of Sandwell Crescent, NW6, pleaded guilty on February 10 to assisting an offender.

Both he and Biomy are due to be sentenced on March 12.

The Met Police said that Biomy and murder victim Smith were members of rival street gangs that were "part of an ongoing feud":

A spokesperson for the city police force described the moments prior to Smith's murder:

"Alex was a member of a street gang operating in and around Camden.

"Biomy was one of six members of a rival gang who had been driving around the Fitzrovia and Euston Road area on that Monday night looking for rivals to attack as part of an ongoing feud.

"There were six people in the gang’s two stolen cars, a Ford Fiesta and a Seat Leon both on false plates. The latter was driven by Biomy."

News Shopper: Arif Biomy. Image: Met PoliceArif Biomy. Image: Met Police

They went on to detail how Biomy was one of several gang members who hunted for rival gang members in the Camden area on the night in question and conspired to commit murder.

"Just after 2230hrs on 12 August 2019, Alex and some friends left a restaurant via an entrance onto Bolsover Street W1.

"A short time later, the group ran to an estate on the north side of Euston Road where they took refuge for a period of time. It is believed that they had come into contact with the suspects in either or both of the stolen cars before running off.

"Just after 2300hrs, the two cars pulled up in Longford Street NW1 where a number of males ran into a block of flats looking for rival gang members.

"Moments later, Alex and his friends were spotted by the other occupants of the cars.

"While Biomy stayed in the Seat, Alex was chased by three males to Munster Square, just north of Euston Road, where he was stabbed to death."

The Met said that six males in two cars sped away from the scene, leaving Smith for dead.

Despite the best efforts of the emergency services called to treat him, he died at the scene.

Police identified a number of suspects after inspecting CCTV footage and found that Yusuf was responsible for setting the two cars used by the suspect alight shortly after the killing.

The prosecution in the case argued that all of those who were in the two cars committed the offence of murder together "as part of a joint plan or agreement".

"It was clear that Biomy, although he never left the stolen Seat Leon, was a key member of the group who killed Alex," the Met said.

Police revealed on Tuesday that the driver of the Fiesta was still not known to police, but that two of its passengers — aged 19 and 20 at the time — were thought to have left the UK "within days of Alex’s death and are believed to be overseas."

Meanwhile the city police force added that one of the passengers in the Seat Ibiza driven by Biomy — a 20-year-old man — had been detained under the Mental Health Act and "is not fit to stand trial."

Anyone with information that could assist the investigation is asked to call the Met's incident room on 020 8358 0400.

To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.