London firefighters have issued a warning about the dangers of candles after a flat was set on fire last night by a tealight candle.

Firefighters were called to the flat on Egerton Drive in Greenwich late at night (January 13) after the sitting room was set ablaze, damaging the first floor of the property.

A man in the flat managed to leave before the London Fire Brigade arrived, and there were no reports of injuries.

News Shopper:

Station Officer Gary Deacon was at the scene, and said the Brigade's fire investigators believed the fire was caused by a tealight candle coming into contact with flammable materials.

Firefighter crews from Greenwich, Lewisham, East Greenwich and Lee Green were called at 10:57pm, and the fire was under control by 11:52pm.

He commented: “Crews worked quickly to extinguish the fire and contained the fire to the living room.

“Candles are one of the most common causes of fire and it’s very important they are kept away from anything that can easily catch fire and never left unattended.”