A man who murdered his 18-year-old love rival in a brutal attack in Lewisham with the help of his parents and friends has been jailed for life.

Daniel Grogan, 21, of Sibthorpe Road in Eltham, has been today (January 7) been sentenced to a minimum of 21 years in jail for the murder of Jay Sewell, whilst Daniel's parents, sibling, a cousin and two friends have also been given sentences.

Grogan was "consumed with hatred and jealousy" after finding our that 18-year-old Mr Sewell was seeing his ex-girlfriend, the Old Bailey heard.

Jay and his friends were "brutally" ambushed on 11 December 2018 by a group of people in Lee armed with knives, hammers, wood and an axe, where Jay was stabbed.

Grogan was today sentenced to serve a minimum of 21 years in jail, and was also sentenced to five years' imprisonment for grievous bodily harm and three and a half years for violent disorder to run concurrently.

News Shopper:

Seven other individuals, including members of Daniel's family, were also given a combined sentence of over 60 years for their involvement in the attack.

Daniel Grogan's mother Ann, 55, was sentenced to seven and a half years for manslaughter plus three and half years for violent disorder, whilst father Robert, 58, was given 14 and a half years for manslaughter, six years for GBH and three and half years for violent disorder, both to be served concurrently.

All three lived at the same address in Eltham on Sibthorpe Road, SE12, along with Daniel's sister Francesca, 30, who was previously sentenced to 12 months for violent disorder.

The court heard how, in the week before the attack, Daniel Grogan had become increasingly jealous of Jay - who was dating his ex-girlfriend - and had made repeated threats to kill him. He had also attacked Jay’s girlfriend two days before his death.

At around 10pm on 11 December, Jay travelled with some of his friends and his girlfriend to meet Daniel Grogan at Alwold Crescent, SE12, intending to stop Daniel from threatening and harassing Jay's girlfriend.

When they arrived, Jay and his friends were ambushed by the defendants, who came out of an address in Sibthorpe Road armed with knives, hammers, wood and an axe.

Jay was stabbed along with another 18-year-old man (Victim 2). The two victims were taken to a south London hospital suffering from stab injuries.

Despite the work of the emergency services, Jay died in hospital at 22.34hrs that evening. A post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as a single stab wound to the chest. He was stabbed a further two times in the legs.

The second victim was subsequently discharged from hospital, and a murder investigation was launched.

Jay’s mother, Sharon Louch, said in the family’s impact statement: “It breaks my heart to know that Jay will never be able to fulfil his dreams.

“He is my first thought when I wake up and last before I go to bed. I try my hardest to shield my children from the pain, but I can’t do it. They all know they will never see their brother again.

“There is no sentence this court or any other can pass which can come close to healing the pain or make up for not being able to look at my Jay’s face or hear him laugh. I haven’t come here expecting or wanting it to. However it does provide a glimmer of hope that those responsible have been held to account for their actions."

Charlie Dudley, 26, who lived at another address on Sibthorpe Road, was also sentenced for 16 years for manslaughter, six and a half years for GBH and three and a half years for violent disorder.

Liam Hickey, 20-year-old cousin of Daniel, was sentenced for three years for GBH and three and ahalf years for violent disorder, whilst Jamie Bennett, 32, was previously sentenced to 20 months in prison.

Detective Chief Inspector Simon Harding said: “Jay was subject to a brutal, pre-meditated attack in which the defendants came armed with deadly weapons and the intent to cause the most serious harm.

“Daniel Grogan is clearly a dangerous individual and we are pleased he has been brought to justice and will spend a considerable length of time in prison.

“This was a long and complex investigation and I would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to Jay’s family who have had to re-live the pain of that night by sitting through the four-month trial.”