A thug was jailed for attacking a man in a Sevenoaks car park before he realised they were supporting the same right-wing group.

Dale Lutton ended up battering another member of right-wing group Generation Identity, thinking he was from a leftist organisation, until the pair realised their mistake - and shook hands.

The 27-year-old was at a theatre for a conference held by right-wing group Generation Identity, which had to be moved after protest from leftist group Anti-Fa.

Lutton, as well as Paul Carbine, Sebastian Seccombe and Deirdre McTucker had all gone to the conference on 14 April 2018 and were involved in fighting that broke out afterwards the car park, in Sevenoaks.

Maidstone Crown Court heard how the rival gangs acted like "football hooligans"- during clashes in Marks and Spencer car park.

Prosecutor Patrick Dennis said: "This was a wholly unsavoury, unnecessary and unlawful incident. They were acting like football hooligans.

"One side was a right wing group called Generation Identity. On the other was a left wing group called Anti-Fa."

Lutton, of Northern Ireland, was jailed for 16 months after he was filmed joining in with the fighting as soon as it began, targeting one person in particular and throwing multiple punches at him - before the pair realised they were supporting the same cause.

McTucker, 43 of Dublin, was jailed for 12 months after being found guilty of violent disorder at a trial in September.

She was filmed grabbing a woman by the hair before punching her repeatedly in the face during the clash, on April 14, 2018.

Carbine, 33, of Wickford, Essex, was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment after pleading guilty to violent disorder.

Sebastian Seccombe, 20, of Consett, County Durham, was sentenced to ten months in a young offender institution after pleading guilty to violent disorder.

He kicked a member of the opposing group in the stomach before aiming a flying kick at others who were fighting.

Mr Dennis added: "Footage shows members of both groups engaging in hand to hand combat.

"There can be no doubt that ordinary members of the public were frightened by what they witnessed."

Detective Sergeant Dan Barker of Kent Police said: "The actions of these four people and others involved in fighting that day were completely unacceptable.

"Members of the public should be able to go about their daily business without having to witness such mindless acts of violence, as has been demonstrated by the sentences imposed by the judge in this case.

"All four now have plenty of time behind bars to consider whether the juvenile behaviour they displayed was really worth it."

They were sentenced on Friday 29.