A young man is still fighting for his life in hospital after his car was left "squashed flat" in a horror crash involving two fast motors.

The 25-year-old was racing down the road in a black Jaguar alongside a white Audi A5 seconds before the massive smash, according to stunned witnesses.

It is thought the drivers lost control and collided when a bus came into view at the bottom of the hill, causing the Jaguar to flip into the air.

A group of men enjoying a pint at a nearby pub rushed into the road and helped turn the car back into its four wheels - with the driver still inside.

The motor had ploughed into a row of parked cars parked on Chislehurst High Street.

Barry Woodley, who owns a furniture store on the high street, witnessed the aftermath of the crash.

The 62-year-old, from nearby Bickley, said: "It is the worst accident I have ever seen.

"Every car I looked at seems to be a write off. They were all squashed on one side. I couldn't even make out what type of cars they were it was that bad."

"The driver must have still been inside it because I left at 11.30pm and only then were the paramedics pulling him out.

Barry was in bed when he received a call to say his shop alarm was ringing.

He said: "I had a phone call at 10pm because my alarm went off and I immediately came down.

"The high street was blocked off and there was a police cordon at the top of the road.

"When I walked up the high street, there were lots of flashing lights - two fire engines, two ambulances and a couple of police cars.

"There were at least two or three cars that were write offs in parking bays."

A mum, who lives on the high street, was at home with her son when she heard "a massive bang" and went to the window.

She said: "I don't know how it happened but I was indoors and I just heard a massive bang outside.

"The man who was taken to hospital was one of the drivers.

"By the time I looked out, there were paramedics helping him out of the car."

Locals were still clearing up the destruction caused by the smash at 8am this morning and the high street has reopened.

Met Police said a 25-year-old woman suffered minor injuries while a 25-year-old man remains in hospital in a critical condition.

A spokesperson said: "Police were called on August 21 at around 10pm to High Street, Chislehurst to reports of a collision between two vehicles.

"The emergency services attended and a 25-year-old man was found seriously injured.

"He was taken to a south London hospital in a critical condition.

"A 25-year-old woman with minor injuries was also taken to hospital as a precaution.

"The driver of the other car is speaking to officers. There have been no arrests and enquiries are ongoing."