The man found guilty of murdering a 39-year-old with a hunting knife in Dulwich has been jailed for life at the Old Bailey.

Southwark man Jahmel Michael Riley, 24, was found guilty of killing 39-year-old Dennis Anderson on Friday (August 16) after a trial at the same court.

He was sentenced today (Tuesday, August 20) to serve a minimum term of 23 and a half years.

On February 10, Mr Anderson was returning home from a party in the early hours of the morning, when he went into an off-license in Lordship Lane, East Dulwich with a group of friends.

Mr Riley was already present in the shop when the victim arrived and had been asking customers in the store if he could have a cigarette, appearing aggressive and impolite.

After he asked Mr Anderson the same question, an argument broke out between the two.

Mr Riley eventually pulled out a large hunting knife.

Witnesses saw Mr Riley raise the knife before Mr Anderson stepped towards him and attempted to wrestle the weapon out of his hands.

CCTV footage showed the struggle between the two men inside before they spilled out into the street through the door.

External footage from the store showed Mr Riley on top of the victim, before making a stabbing motion towards the left side of his body, causing a deep cut to his neck.

Despite the efforts of paramedics and police who attended the scene at around 2.40am, after Mr Riley had fled, Mr Anderson died at the scene.

Mr Anderson’s partner, Leeane Manzi, said the killing had left those nearest to him with "shattered hearts" and praised the police for their work on the case.

"The end of the court case is a bitter sweet feeling for us as a family.

"We are pleased with the verdict, as it has taken one very violent and dangerous person off of the streets.

"We are hoping it also teaches others a lesson that carrying and using knives is a life sentence for all.

"This would not have been possible without the hard-working, dedicated and compassionate work of the police that have supported us from the very beginning," Ms Manzi said.

"On the night that he so brutally attacked, Dennis showed the heroic qualities that we all knew him for by trying to protect other members of the public and stop the situation escalating.

"This did not surprise us when we found out, as looking out for others summed up Dennis' character.

"The sentence does not change a thing for us. As a family we are also serving a life sentence, this has left our hearts shattered and our lives turned upside down.

"We have fought one battle and now for us the real fight begins, learning to live a life without our Dennis," she added.

Detective Inspector Domenica Catino, from the Met's Homicide and Major Crime Command, who led the investigation into the killing, said: "This is a very tragic incident that has left me filled with anguish as Dennis Anderson’s death was totally avoidable.

"Witnesses of the attack, including close friends of the victim, and CCTV footage showed that Riley had chances to avoid the confrontation and the leave the off-license.

"The two men did not know each other and Dennis was killed solely because he refused Riley’s request for a cigarette. That is the value that Riley places on life."