A person was rescued from a Northfleet home last night after a fire ripped through the first floor.

Five fire engines were sent to the scene in Rose Street in the early hours of Saturday, August 10, where smoke and flames could be seen billowing the first floor of the property.

Firefighters used hose reel jets, a covering jet and water from a hydrant to tackle the blaze before clearing smoke from the building.

Crews wearing breathing apparatus rescued one person from the property, who was then passed into the care of SECAmb paramedics as a precaution.

The cause of fire is believed to be accidental.