Opportunities were missed in the care of a psychotic woman with a violent past who killed her mother because she thought she was a “bony witch”.

Regina Edwards, 52, had not seen a psychiatrist for six months before she strangled her mother Priscilla Edwards to death with her hands and a scarf during a psychotic episode.

She was without her medication when she stayed with her dementia-suffering mum, 78, in Plumstead on the night of February 21, 2016.

At the time of the killing, her mother had suffered a fall, and Regina and her sister were acting as carers.

Regina stayed over at her mother’s house – something she didn’t usually do – and failed to take her medication, phone charger or toiletries.

She felt depressed, neglected to eat, and descended into a psychotic episode in response to “jerky movements” by her mother.

Regina had a history of believing in the supernatural and told psychiatrists that when she looked at her she thought she had “long bony claws like a witch”, and that she had to kill her to rid her of a curse.

MORE Bromley road safety: Hundreds back campaign for new crossing near Eden Park High

An independent review into the case found that the death was neither preventable or predictable, but opportunities were missed in the care of Edwards and her risks were not “known, understood or mitigated”.

In a bid to save cash, Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust, which cared for Regina, embarked on a redesign of its structures. Edwards went five months without seeing a psychiatrist as a result in the build up to her mother’s death.

The safeguarding report explains: “As a result of an adult mental health care service redesign in September 2015, [Edwards’] was transferred to the step-down pathway of Intensive Case Management Psychosis.

“She was ‘placed’ with a cohort of patients who were not seen as needing the regular input of a consultant psychiatrist.”

Edwards saw a psychologist from July until October before she was offered group sessions for people who heard voices.

She had weekly contact with a third sector provider who emailed in early February – just weeks before the relapse – calling for a one-off review.

The email, sent in the same month as the relapse, was not prioritised by psychiatrists who had a change in caseloads following the restructuring.

Regina had a history of violence and was known to mental health services after she stabbed her son in the stomach in the 90s.

She spent a decade in a psychiatric facility as a result and had ups and downs in her recovery, often not taking her medication. It was not clear whether she had been taking it at the time of the killing.

The report, commissioned by the Greenwich Council, concluded: “We believe, given her history and the risks known, that it was more likely that Regina would harm herself rather than someone else.

MORE Beckenham Place Park 'closed until the weekend'

“We do not consider that it was predictable that she would kill her mother at any stage, however in February 2016 she was not in receipt of the previous level of care, and risk to herself or others was not assessed.”

A spokesman for Oxleas Trust said: “We immediately began a board level inquiry and actions from this inquiry have been undertaken

“An independent inquiry was also carried out. This inquiry report made additional recommendations which have been put into place and are reviewed regularly by the Board of Directors and the Council of Governors.”

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS trust, which was also investigated, said: “As part of the agreed action plan, we have given relevant staff additional training on this issue, and we have improved our processes for carrying out and documenting capacity assessments.”

Finally, Greenwich Council also played a part in the review. Councillor Averil Lekau, cabinet member for adult social services, said: “We hope this review, and the action plan we have developed, will reduce the risk of deeply tragic cases like this happening again.”

Regina was found guilty of manslaughter with diminished responsibility and sentenced to life with a minimum of 10 years at the Old Bailey in June 2016.