The owner of a popular fish & chip shop in Erith has been forced to remain closed for a number of days after a fire broke out yesterday evening.

Fire crews were called to Joe's Fish Bar in Bexley Road shortly before 5pm following reports that a deep fat fryer had caught alight due to an electrical fault.

Two brigades arrived to tackle to minor blaze as smoke could be seen billowing from the premises.

MORE: Teen arrested after suspected cannabis farm in West Hill

A London Fire Brigade spokeswoman said that four people had left the building before firefighters arrived on the scene and that the incident was over for them at around 6:15pm.

Speaking to News Shopper, owner Jaz Klear said he was thankful that nobody was injured during the ordeal but that the takeaway will not be able to open until Wednesday afternoon at the earliest.

"We'll have to stay closed because of all the smoke but we'll hopefully be back open on Wednesday morning or afternoon for normal service," he said.