A man and a woman are in hospital after being rescued from a house fire in Forest Hill.

Firefighters recovered the pair from the fire on Dacres Road shortly after 9am on Sunday.

They were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation before being taken to hospital. Twenty firefighters managed to control the blaze by 10am.

It is believed the fire was started by an electric blanket.

A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade said: "It is very important to make sure that electrical items, like electric blankets, are switched off when you leave the house.

"Electric blankets shouldn’t be left on overnight either as they can overheat and then catch fire."