London Fire Brigade (LFB) said that a recent maisonette fire in Woolwich was likely caused by a cigarette butt.

The fire occurred at a block of maisonettes on Green Row, Woolwich, April 6.

Part of the outside of a maisonette on the ground and first floor was damaged by the fire and the inside was heavily smoke logged.

Two adults and three children left the property before the Brigade arrived.

Two men were later treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service (LAS) crews, and one was taken to hospital.

After conducting investigations into the causes of the fire, LFB said this week that they believed a discarded cigarette butt had started the blaze.

LFB said: "A carelessly discarded cigarette is believed to have been the cause of a fire at a block of maisonettes on Green Row, Woolwich.

A spokesperson for the brigade added that discarding cigarettes butts can put others in jeopardy if there's a chance they are not extinguished.

The LFB spokesperson said: "If you smoke, it’s so important to ensure your cigarette is disposed of carefully.

"It’s really dangerous to throw cigarettes off balconies, and as we’ve seen here they can easily start fires.

"Make sure your cigarette is fully out and use a proper ashtray that won’t burn or tip over easily, and never leave your lit cigarette unattended."

Alongside the statement issued about the recent maisonette fire, LFB issued a safety checklist for smokers:

  • Make sure you have smoke alarms fitted in every room you regularly use in your home including in the hallways
  • Never smoke in bed
  • Always ensure you stub out cigarettes properly and dispose of them carefully
  • Keep matches and lighters out of children's reach
  • Never leave lit cigarettes or cigars unattended
  • Empty ashtrays carefully, ensuring all smoking materials are stubbed out and cold
  • If you must smoke, do it outdoors