A toaster which was accidentally switched on caused a flat fire near Cutty Sark this week.

It is believed clutter pushed the toaster leaver down before the plastic ignited.

The Brigade sent 25 firefighters to the flat on Thames Street and around 12 people evacuated before they arrived on Thursday (February 14) at midday.

READ ALSO: Woman taken to hospital after flat fire in Defence Close, Thamesmead

Part of the first floor flat was damaged by the fire.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman offered the following safety advice: "Keep clutter to a minimum on your kitchen work surfaces especially near toasters and hobs as they can accidentally switch them on or catch fire."

Fire crews took had the blaze under control by 1.26pm.