A minicab driver who killed a man when driving high on cannabis has been convicted and jailed.

Adefemi Adebsi, 36, was sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison having been convicted of causing the death of 27-year-old Joshua Hayes by dangerous driving while on drugs.

Joshua, an English graduate from Sidcup who worked as a college lecturer, was run over shortly after 3am on October 1, 2016, at the junction of Romborough Way and Lewisham High Street.

He died at the scene and a post-mortem examination gave the cause of Joshua’s death as asphyxiation.

Adebsi, of Wyatt Close, SE16, was found guilty on December 12 following an eight-day trial at Woolwich Crown Court.

News Shopper:

Joshua's mother spoke of the devastating effect his death has had on the whole family – his elder brother, younger sister, father and herself.

Mrs Hayes said: "Words seem feeble for conveying the overwhelming sense of loss and the depth of pain and suffering we have experienced since the tragic and unnecessary death of our beloved son Joshua.

"It has been a living hell for our family. We have all been impacted in different ways, each of us bears physical, mental or emotional scars that run deep and can never be healed.

"There will be no more happy years. Not for us the warmth and joy of a family Christmas, his absence will always overshadow the celebrations we might have anticipated.

“We mourn the loss of Joshua's future, his hopes, dreams and aspirations.

"We should not have to mourn and weep on a daily basis and speak about him in the past tense. I just want to ensure that no other family has to feel such intense pain and suffering as a result of the careless and thoughtless act.

“This man is a habitual risk taker...without due care for his passengers, other road users and pedestrians.

“He could have eased our burden by pleading guilty and saved us years of pain leading up to the trial.

"It has taken two years and two months for this case to come to trial after two false starts. This has exacerbated our grief and suffering.

“We feel that throughout this process, Adebisi showed no real remorse.”

Detective Sergeant Wendy Parker, lead officer in the case, said: "Adebisi admitted in court that he had used cannabis multiple times in the space of one week.

“The public put their trust in licensed minicab drivers and expect to be transported in a safe environment when they step into a vehicle.

"This man imprisoned today undoubtedly put others at risk by his behaviour and this case shows the dangers of driving under the influence of drugs.

“We hope it will act as a deterrent in future to others."

In addition to his prison sentence, Adebsi was disqualified from driving for seven years and three months.