Residents should ensure they have working smoke alarms in their homes, firefighters have advised after a blaze in Catford last night.

No working smoke alarms were in the property as a passer-by saw flames and banged on the window on Stanstead Road before running to Forest Hill Fire Station.

Firefighters rescued a woman who was led out of the home wearing a breathing apparatus.

A man also left the home before the fire brigade arrived last night (February 6), and nobody was injured.

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: "This incident shows just how important it is to have working smoke alarms in your home.

"Smoke alarms give the earliest possible warning when a fire starts, and we would urge everyone to make sure they have one fitted in every room where a fire can start except kitchens or bathrooms where heat alarms are more appropriate."

The fire was under control by 11.23pm and part of a first floor bedroom was damaged.