The jailed leaders of Britain First have been described as "abhorrent" by police as their mugshots are released.

Jayda Fransen, 32, and Paul Golding, 36, were sentenced yesterday following a "campaign of targeted abuse at members of Kent's Muslim community".

The pair, both from Penge, are the deputy leader and leader of the far-right group.

They were arrested on May 10 last year after the distribution of leaflets and online videos during an ongoing trial at Canterbury Crown Court.

Three Muslim men and a teenager were later jailed for raping a 16-year-old girl in a flat above the 555 Pizza takeaway in Ramsgate.

Golding and Fransen's hate crimes were exposed in court, including when the pair visited 555 Pizza on May 5.

Golding was filming while Fransen banged on the windows and doors, screaming "paedophile" and a "foreigner" as two children played in the middle of the shop and Jamshed Khesrow, a friend of the owners, was inside.

Mr Khesrow said Fransen was shouting: "Come out you paedophile. You're a rapist. Come outside, I want to talk to you."

He said he was "so scared" and she was "aggressive and angry".

Later, she shouted out: "I'm not scared of the police. I don't care about the police."

Mother-of-two Kelli Best blamed Fransen for her daughter being stillborn after she was subjected to racist abuse in her home.

Fransen shouted through the front door of defendant Tamin Rahmani's home when Miss Best, who was pregnant, was alone with their two children - aged three and 18-months-old - on May 9.

Giving evidence from behind a screen, she said: "She (Fransen) was making racist remarks: 'Dirty Muslim rapist, come out, we're not going to leave until you're gone, come out. Dirty scumbags'.

"It was directed at Tamin because she thought he was in there but he wasn't."

Ikram Safai was told to move house by social services after Fransen mistakenly targeted his home, believing it to be that of Sershah Muslimyar - another defendant in the trial.

Mr Safai, originally from Afghanistan, found a video on the Britain First website which showed Fransen knocking on his door, identifying it as the home of Muslimyar - but he had moved out some two years earlier.

In the video she shouted: "Come out dirty Muslim. Rapist Muslim. Come out and speak to me face-to-face if you're man enough."

The group also distributed leaflets wrongly identifying Faiz Rahmani, the brother of defendant Tamin Rahmani, as Muslimyar.

Detective Inspector Bill Thornton of Kent Police said: "The crimes committed by Paul Golding and Jayda Fransen were abhorrent and motivated by religious insensitivities.

"They claimed to be exposing the men who had been accused of rape when in reality they knew little about the case in question and could have put the trial at risk due to their reckless actions.

"It was the bravery of the female who was attacked and the tireless work of Kent Police detectives who ensured the men responsible are now serving a significant period of time behind bars, not because of any misguided attempt by Golding and Fransen to claim credit for their conviction by bringing religion into the equation.

"The fact that completely innocent members of the public were accused of being rapists, making them fear for their own safety, shows how little regard they have for the consequences of their actions."

Fransen was found guilty of three counts of religiously aggravated harassment and Golding, a former Swanley councillor, was convicted of one count of the same charge at Folkestone Magistrates’ Court.

Fransen was sentenced to nine months in prison and Golding was sentenced to four-and-a-half months in prison.

Restraining orders were granted to stop the pair contacting victims and witnesses in the case. Fransen was ordered to pay £2,000 in compensation to those affected and Golding was told to pay £500.