Unattended cooking bursting into flames on New Year’s Eve forced a flat in Woolwich to be evacuated, according to London Fire Brigade.

Firefighters were called just after 12pm to Belson Road after a fire broke out on the first floor of the six storey block.

A spokesperson from LFB said they believed the fire was caused by cooking being left unattended and bursting into flames

They said: “If you are cooking and you have to leave the room, turn the heat off before you do.

“This incident shows how important smoke alarms are but also heat detectors for kitchens. These are designed for use in the kitchen and go off when a certain temperature is reached.

“As a minimum you should have at least one smoke alarm fitted on the ceiling of every floor in your home, however, we recommend you fit one in every room you regularly use as well as in the hallway.”

Three people evacuated before the fire brigade arrived and no injuries were reported. Four fire engines and 21 firefighters tackled the blaze and it was under control by 1pm.