A fire ripped through two Bexleyheath houses after a fireworks display went wrong.

Six fire engines and 35 firefighters battled the blaze in Sunland Avenue on bonfire night (November 5).

The fire incinerated the roofs of both houses and a garage for nearly two hours. 

Used fireworks are believed to have been accidentally dumped in a bin liner at the back of the garage while they were still hot.

The flames spread through the garage shared by both houses. 

A man, woman and three children left the house where the fire started.

All five were checked over by London Ambulance Service at the scene as a precaution.

Fire crews were called at 8.31pm and the fire was under control by 10.19pm.

Crews from Plumstead, Sidcup, Bexley and Erith fire stations attended the incident.