The partner of EastEnders actress Sian Blake from Erith is awaiting sentencing after he admitted to murdering her and the couple's two young sons.

Arthur Simpson-Kent appeared at the Old Bailey this morning (October 4) after he pleaded guilty to the murders of Ms Blake and their sons Zachary, eight, and four-year-old Amon.

Simpson-Kent, formerly of Pembroke Road, Erith, appeared before Mr Justice Singh with his eyes closed during the prosecution’s opening remarks.

It is believed the murders were committed overnight on December 14.

Mark Heywood, prosecuting, said: “On December 14 the defendant killed each of them in turn with heavy, deliberate, repeated blows with a blunt instrument and then by cutting and stabbing them with a bladed weapon in a way that ensured their deaths.”

Cries were heard in the public gallery as the prosecution continued: “He then covered his crimes by moving, wrapping and burying each of them, cleaning and partially painting his home.”

Simpson-Kent, 49, had no financial stake in the Pembroke Road home, which was bought by Ms Blake with her sister Ava in mid-2011.

Ms Blake, played Frankie Pierre in 56 episodes of EastEnders between 1996 and 1997, and was suffering from motor neurone disease before she died, was last seen on the afternoon on December 13 in Leyton seeing her mother.

She arrived at 1pm and remained there until 4pm with the boys, the court heard.

The judge heard how Ms Blake asked her family if the four of them, including Simpson-Kent, could move in but her sister refused, saying, "only three of you can."

News Shopper:

Sian's mother Pansy Blake outside court 

On December 16, concerned for the welfare of Ms Blake and her two sons, a family member contacted the NSPCC claiming Simpson-Kent had been mistreating Sian.

It was alleged he was poisoning her and cutting her hair in order to hide his mistreatment of her.

Ms Blake's sister Ava Blake received a text from her phone on the same day to say she and the boys needed to get away for a while but detectives believe this message was sent by Simpson-Kent after the killings.

It read: “Hi Ava I am taking time to myself and my children without constant opinions from family and friends. Opinions that upset me and then upset my children. Nobody knows what I am going through regardless of all the comments, no one can cure me. I have had enough of appeasing everyone. We are away and I will not be calling or speaking to anyone for a few months.”

At 11am on December 16 Simpson-Kent was travelling in Woolwich and made three calls to the British Heart Foundation.

Mr Heywood said: “The defendant appears to have removed all of the possessions of Ms Blake and the two boys, including their clothes, coats and shoes from the property and disposed of them.”

Police visited Simpson-Kent at home at 4pm that day and he told officers Ms Blake had gone to visit a friend in Cambridge with the children.

Despite initially being uncooperative, Simpson-Kent then let police into the bungalow.

As the officers walked around the home, the defendant described the improvements he was making to the home and explained how Ms Blake’s family did not like him.

Shortly after the police visit, Simpson-Kent vanished.

News Shopper:

Left to right: Amon, four, Sian Blake and Zachary, aged eight

The judge heard how Simpson-Kent took £300 from Ms Blake's bank account from an ATM in Bethnal Green Road at 11.58pm on December 16 and a further £400 the following day before putting it into a joint account.

Mr Heywood said that, as police launched a missing persons investigation into Ms Blake and her children, Simpson-Kent booked a flight from Glasgow to Accra, via Amsterdam.

In a message to a friend, he said: "I can't go into details about what I have done but I only have two choices. Go to Ghana one way or Die (sic)."

The investigation was taken over by murder squad officers on January 3 as concern for the family's welfare deepened.

They searched their home using specially trained sniffer dogs which led officers to a secluded area of the back garden.

It was there that the remains of Ms Blake and her children were uncovered despite "significant effort" to conceal them.

A post-mortem examination found they died from head and neck injuries.

The trio's bodies were found by officers with sniffer dogs, wrapped up and buried in a secluded area at the back of the garden at their family home in Pembroke Road, almost three weeks later, on January 5.

The court heard Ms Blake and the two boys were hit on the head before being stabbed in the neck or throat.

They were then stripped naked before being buried in the back garden

In each attack at least two different weapons were used, the court heard.

Murder detectives travelled to Ghana and Simpson-Kent was subsequently arrested on January 9, then extradited on February 12 to the UK where he was charged with the murders.

News Shopper:

Arthur Simpson-Kent in court today

On January 9, Simpson-Kent sent a text message to his mother which read: “Sorry for the attention I have brought into your life.

“Why? For months we discussed her options because of the illness and she told me if she got to a certain point she would like to die.

“And it got to that point.

“Why the children?

“Because the agreement without their parents there was noone qualified to raise them in the way they were accustomed to.

“Society was not an option neither was her family.

“So the final promise was we all go.

“Why Ghana?

“Because i wanted to die in the place i was born and now is time. Sian also said in that case she wanted her brother to have all her investments the 2 flats.

“This is my time.”

The prosecution has rejected the claim Simpson-Kent had entered into an arrangement with Ms Blake to end the lives of herself and her children.

The court heard how Ms Blake’s illness led her to contemplate her future, especially with the defendant.

The prosecution argued Miss Blake was the breadwinner and property holder who was considering selling the house, and, with the children, leaving the defendant because of her condition and because of the state of their relationship, something the defence has denied.

The defence, Jim Sturman, said: “[Arthur Simpson-Kent] is a man who faces a very long time in prison.

“He accepts that."

He added: “It is this case he was going to kill himself and lost his courage.

“He has said, ‘Prison is not going to be the greatest punishment but inside my head for what I have done'.”

The sentencing will continue tomorrow at 2pm.