There were "no failings" in the treatment of an Eltham teen who hanged herself at her school but the 15-year-old may have felt overwhelmed by the number of people involved in her care, an inquest heard today.

The inquest into the tragic death of teenager Malika Sawyer, who hanged herself in the school toilets of Harris Academy Greenwich on June 18, 2013 came to a close today (February 17).

Coroner Lorna Tagliavini found there had been no failings by the agencies who were involved in her care.

She told Inner South London Coroner's Court: "I do not find it necessary to write any report and duplicate the work these agencies and bodies have carried out.

"I have identified no failings that caused or minimally contributed to Malika's death, whether from Oxleas or Greenwich social services or the school.

"I avoid the application of hindsight and if-onlys."

She added from the evidence she had heard, the alleged assault by Malika's uncle one week before her death was appropriately responded to.

Coroner Tagliavini said it was necessary to raise the question of whether too many people were involved in her care and whether a "plethora of people is the best approach in all cases".

She read an extract from notes found in Malika’s diaries from May and June.

An entry dated June 17, 2013 read: “Sometimes I wish that everyone would leave me alone, even myself. 

"I think I have become too much for people."

However Malika was not articulating the feelings she expressed in diary entries, the court heard.

Coroner Tagliavini said: "It is very difficult to know what was going on in Malika's mind at the time.

"Malika was a secretive person and didn't readily share her thoughts and feelings.

“Malika herself wasn’t saying the things she was writing down.”

News Shopper: Malika Sawyer

A statement from teacher Katherine Redman, summarised by the coroner, revealed Malika was told she couldn't stay behind at school on the day of her death but could do so the following day, June 19.

Evidence read out by the coroner from Dr Rajesh Gabani of Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Woolwich, where Malika was admitted overnight following her second overdose on painkillers on May 21, indicated the trigger for her actions was not being able to see her counsellor for long enough.

On Monday, Malika's counsellor Maria Day told the inquest she had sessions with Malika starting in April 2013 but scheduling issues meant she didn’t always see her for the planned two weekly sessions or their meetings were sometimes cut short.

The last appointment Ms Day had with Malika was on the day of her death.

Malika’s grandmother Denise Pullen told the court on Monday Malika’s teachers Joanne Hinton and Sarah Hawley were “like her best friends”.

Coroner Tagliavini said: “Malika found both comfort and support from time spent at school and attachment to two female members of staff.

“The school’s clarification and setting of boundaries with two members of staff did contribute to some extent to a deterioration in Malika’s mental health.”

A spokesman from Harris Academy Greenwich said: "Malika's death was a tragic end to a troubled life in which school had frequently been an oasis of safety and happiness for her.

"The staff who worked most closely with her will always wish there was something more we could have done to save her.

"Despite all the troubles in her home life, Malika thrived in our school.

"She had a bright future ahead of her and we will always feel deeply sad that she didn't live to fulfil that potential."

Coroner Tagliavini recorded a verdict of suicide.