A mentally ill killer from Thamesmead died after suffering a cardiac episode while sedated by doctors at a secure pyschiatric institute in Dartford, an inquest heard.

A jury at Gravesend Old Town Hall ruled yesterday (November 26) that Daha Mohamed, 52, died of natural causes, contributed to by a number of "failures" at the Bracton Centre.

The Somalian national, who slit his wheelchair-bound neighbour's throat in his Abotts Road flat, had been sectioned under the Mental Health Act less than a month before his death.

Medical professionals at the centre, run by Oxleas NHS Trust, suspected he was suffering a "manic relapse of his bipolar disorder" due to the stress of his recent trial, coroner Roger Hatch said.

Mohamed's detention order was made at the Old Bailey on January 29 after he pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of Colin Greenway in June 2012.

The court heard the disabled 55-year-old had been battered, hit around the head with a flower pot and had his throat cut with a 10-inch carving knife.


Mohamed, who had Type 2 diabetes and coronary artery disease, died in the early hours of the morning on February 24 last year.

A post-mortem examination showed he had suffered a cardiac arrhythmia.

Yesterday, a jury verdict pointed out failures in recognising a medical emergency, instigating a proper emergency response, managing Mohamed's medication, diabetes and hyperglycaemia, monitoring his vital signs, and having proper working equipment.

These were all contributing factors to his death, they said.

On the day before his death, Mohamed was suffering from insomnia, acting "bizarrely", speaking in his native Swahili, and "had been exposing himself to other patients", Mr Hatch said.

The duty staff day nurse told the jury "she was concerned about his mental state - Daha had kept undressing himself and walking around naked", Mr Hatch added.

Doctors prescribed the patient diazepam and he fell into a deep sleep at around 1pm.

Ms Gahina said Mohamed was given the medicine "to calm him, not to sedate him", but she also felt "he needed to sleep".

The patient had been "very mentally disorientated and disturbed", the jury was told.

Sometime after 11pm, staff realised Mohamed had soiled and wet himself and changed his sheets, Mr Hatch said.

He was snoring loudly and could not be roused despite attempts to call his name, the coroner added.

Nurse Emmanuel Mensah told the inquest he felt "concerned over the patient's safety and wellbeing", and decided to phone an ambulance.

News Shopper: Daha Mohamed, 51, of Abbotts Close, denied murdering Colin Greenway in his ground-floor flat in June last year but pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

Soon after, another Oxleas worker noticed Mohamed had stopped breathing and commenced CPR, Mr Hatch said. He was reportedly "cold to touch".

Bracton's defibrillator was used three or four times before a private ambulance company arrived, followed bt paramedics from South East Coast Ambulance Service (SECAMB), the jury was told.

Mohamed was rushed to Darent Valley Hospital, but later died.

One SECAMB paramedic expressed "concerns of patient sedation" and lack of appropriate equipment when speaking at the inquest.

Professor Khalida Ismail, an academic in diabetes and psychiatry, said "there was a poor understanding of [Mohamed's] diabetes" at Oxleas.

She also said she had "concerns over Daha's high sugar level, and told how this effects all organs of the body".

Mr Hatch said: "She felt this was a serious failure in his treatment.

"She felt there had been a gross failure in Daha's physical and psychological health care."

Given his health problems, Mohamed should have been checked on every 15 minutes of the day and night, Mr Hatch said.

Staff at Oxleas claimed his vital signs had been "taken but not recorded" in his final hours, he added.