Police have launched a murder investigation after a 34-year-old "former soldier" - named locally as Terry Wiggins - was fatally stabbed inside a flat in Slade Green last night (November 17).

Detectives from the homicide and major crime unit are investigating the man's death, but no arrests have yet been made.

A second man, aged 42, was taken to hospital with a head injury.

Neighbours described the scene of the stabbing as "mayhem", saying they could hear sirens as emergency services arrived at a block of flats, believed to be Applegarth House, in Lincoln Close just after 10pm.

News Shopper:

Resident Sam Christie witnessed the aftermath of the incident.

She said: “I saw the police cars come at about 10.15pm as I was just leaving to go out but stopped to see what was going on.

“I watched the police tell the girlfriend that he had passed away. 

"She was in a bad way - screaming, crying and throwing up. 

"It was total mayhem out there."

News Shopper:

Police cordon off the area

Ms Christie told News Shopper that emergency services were still at the flats before she went to bed at 2am.

The mum-of-one added: “I don't know how they were able to fit so many cars down that small road - there must've been at least six police vans and four ambulances.”

“I hope the girlfriend is alright - I just wanted to give her a cup of tea to comfort her. 

“The whole situation is so sad but it's Erith, isn't it?”

News Shopper:

Emergency services in Lincoln Close just after 10pm last night

Another resident Marion Chatten, 72, was woken up by police knocking on her door.

She said: “The police knocked on my door at 11.45pm and he told me someone had been stabbed.

“Apparently, both of the men knew each other.

“I wasn't scared because there are never really any problems around here in my 35 years of being here.

“I was more worried about the wind blowing down my trees than the murderer coming to my house.”

A woman, who asked not to be named, added: "I was in bed asleep, it was my partner that heard the sirens and came and woke me up.

"There was a man outside with a bandage round his head and then they taped the front entrance off with more police arriving and another ambulance.

"Paramedics were coming out with the empty stretcher so we knew then that someone had died - CID cars then arrived. 

News Shopper:

Police cars are parked outside of Applegarth House this morning

"I heard a woman scream - they had obviously just told her the news.

"People were trying to get back in their flat but no one was allowed in or out."

Met Police officers were called to reports of a man suffering stab wounds.

Officers tried to save the critically injured victim, who is believed to have three children and served in Afghanistan, before paramedics from the London Ambulance Service arrived.

He was pronounced dead just before 10.50pm.


Officers know the identity of the deceased and await formal identification.

Next of kin have been informed.

A post-mortem examination will be arranged in due course.

A second man, aged 42, was taken to hospital with a head injury - his condition is not thought to be life threatening.

News Shopper:

A spokesman for the London Ambulance Service said: "We were called at 10.08pm yesterday (Tuesday 17 November)  to reports of a stabbing at Lincoln Close, Erith.

“We sent a number of resources to the scene including an advanced paramedic and an incident response officer.

“We treated a man reported to be in his thirties in cardiac arrest.

“Sadly, despite extensive efforts to resuscitate the patient, he was found dead at the scene.

“We treated another man for a head injury who was taken to hospital.”

Detective Chief Inspector Graeme Gwyn of the Homicide and Major Crime Command is leading the investigation.

Police are asking anyone with information to call the incident room on 020 8721 4805, or to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

To pay tribute to the victim get in touch by email at jake.bacon@london.newsquest.co.uk