A father from Mottingham claims his toddler could have choked after nearly feeding her a Chinese takeaway which had a screw in it.

Daniel Forsythe regularly visits the China Jade, along Beaconsfield Road, but he spotted something amiss last week.

Mr Forsythe finished his shift at the Co-op opposite the takeaway shop and ordered a chow mein and chicken in black bean sauce for pick up, costing £8.80.

He returned to his home along Mottingham Road which he shares with his wife, Kirsty, 24, and their 18-month-old daughter Evie.

After taking a few mouthfuls he claims he spotted a screw nestled in the chow mein he’d shared with his daughter.

MORE TOP STORIES

The 25-year-old told News Shopper: "She was hungry so I’d given her a little bit.

"As soon as I saw the screw I checked the food straight away.

"She had a little plate and I just dived in there with my hands, it was a bit messy.

"I’m just glad it wasn’t in her food, she would have eaten it straight away.

"She could have choked, anything could have happened, that’s what annoys me the most. Her safety is more important than anything.

"There was nothing in her food but I still took it away from her. I just ate something else that night.

"My wife was disgusted, she told me to calm down."

He says he immediately rang up the shop and went round there.

The father-of-one said: "I said I’ve just found a screw he said sorry about that, that it didn’t matter I was sharing it with my daughter.

"He said I’ll do you another dish, I said I don’t want another dish I’ve just found something in my food.”

Mr Forsythe was offered a refund but says he refused.

News Shopper:

The screw in the food

He added: "I go there all the time because the standards of the food are usually nice.

"I’m definitely not going there for food. It’s still really nice but I won’t go there again.

"I want people to be aware of the situation."

He added he thought the screw, which seemed a little rusty, may have come off a saucepan handle.

But Wai Nip, boss of the eatery, told News Shopper it was ‘highly improbable’ the screw came from their kitchen.

He said: "The chow mein is yellow, the chicken is white, the screw is black so that would stand out like a sore thumb.

"If the screw is from the food I do feel for him but we’ve been looking into it.

"I’m not saying it’s impossible but it’s highly improbable.

"At the moment we really can’t find the source.

"We gave him the benefit of the doubt and offered him a refund.

"We’re happy for anyone to come and inspect the place."