The family of a "quiet and private" elderly man who was killed by a mental patient have spoken out after his sentencing.

Daniel Atkins, 31, attacked 71-year-old Ronald Parsons at his home in Laurel Court, Bromley, two days after leaving secure accommodation provided by Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust in March last year, the Old Bailey heard.

He was sentenced to an indeterminate hospital order after pleading guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility via video link from Broadmoor hospital.

After Atkins attacked Mr Parsons, he rang emergency services and told them he had killed a man downstairs "for Her Majesty the Queen" and that he had a gun.

Armed police arrived at the property and when Mr Parsons was pronounced dead, Atkins, who suffers from schizoaffective disorder, said: "I'm sorry for what I have done. I lost it."

A post-mortem examination determined Mr Parsons, who was suffering from Parkinson’s disease, died from severe head and facial injuries.

News Shopper:

Quiet and private: Ronald Parsons

Mr Parson’s family said they are angry that nothing was done to safeguard him from the “obvious and increasing threat” posed by somebody known to suffer mental illness.

In a statement, his nephew said: “Ron Parsons was a quiet and private 71-year-old retiree, who wanted nothing more from life than to live out his retirement in peace, in the flat that he had worked all his life to buy.

"The thought that somebody of his age and physical condition could be so brutally murdered, for no apparent reason, is not something that any of us will ever come to terms with.

“There is some anger that Ron spent the last months of his life with a neighbour whose erratic and intimidating behaviour was causing him distress and worry.”

Mr Parsons, who was the youngest of five brothers and sisters and uncle to seven nephews and nieces, was well loved by neighbours and friends.

News Shopper:

Daniel Atkins

Atkins was deemed unfit to plead to the charge of murdering Mr Parsons at an earlier hearing in April.

In October 2009, Atkins stabbed a 60-year-old woman in the neck in Bromley in broad daylight.

An Oxleas NHS Foundation spokesman said an inquiry found Atkins’ attack on Mr Parsons could not be predicted but new procedures had been put in place.