Eyewitnesses from yesterday's horror crash in Bexleyheath, which hospitalised 16 people, have described the 'chaos' after a double decker ploughed into the bus and four cars infront.

The 269 Bexleyheath bus was being driven along the Broadway towards the town centre when it went into the back of the packed single-decker B11 directly outside Christ Church.

The force of the initial crash shunted the single decker into the cars infront, creating a domino effect of damaged vehicles which left drivers and passengers with a multitude of injuries.

News Shopper:

The damaged 269 Bexleyheath bus.

Louise Sparham, who called the emergency services, was first on the scene after witnessing the pile-up.

The 30-year-old said: "It just seemed like it happened in slow motion. It was a bit surreal at first.

"I didn't realise how many cars were involved.

"It was mainly the B11 that was quite packed and they were just in complete shock.

"I hopped on to the B11 there was quite a few people injured. I dealt with the people who needed assistance straight away."

Amongst the most injured were elderly passengers who were flung on the bus floor as they prepared to get off at the upcoming stop.

News Shopper:

Emergency services working at the scene.

Miss Sparham added: "I dealt with one elderly lady who had a cut to her arm, it was right down to the bone. She was bleeding quite a lot and she was in quite a bit of shock.

"By the time I'd dealt with them three ambulances had arrived.

The Bexley resident stayed with the elderly casualty and assisted the paramedics whilst they treated her injuries.

She said it was "chaos" whilst the emergency services triaged patients and the Met Police cordoned off the Broadway to vehicles and onlookers.

News Shopper:

The domino effect of damage.

A spokesman from the London Ambulance Service said they were called at 1.10pm to reports of a road traffic collision.

He said paramedics treated 16 people for a range of injuries, including neck, back and abdominal pain, as well as an arm injury.

They were all taken to Queen Elizabeth hospital, Darent Valley hospital and Lewisham hospital.

College student Louise Newport was waiting for a friend by the church when she saw the collision.

The 17-year-old, from Welling, said she kept the single-decker bus driver talking and awake until paramedics arrived.

She said: "The 269 bus rammed in to the B11 bus and then that pushed the B11 in to the other cars- it was a domino effect.

"I was just like 'oh my god is everyone alright?'

"I opened the doors, spoke to the driver and called my dad- he works at the bus garage.

"The bus driver was so shaken up he wasn't able to call anyone."

News Shopper:

The B11 being towed away after the crash.

Hatfield News owner Nilesh Patel, 39, was working when he heard a large bang as the double decker crashed directly outside the shop.

He rushed outside with other staff where he saw the aftermath and provided tissues whilst onlookers helped the injured on board.

News Shopper:

Hatfield News owner Nilesh Patel.

Mr Patel told News Shopper: "Everyone was in shock, saying 'what happened, what happened'

"It's more like shock- I was just standing there and boom, even I was scared.

"The driver was in shock as well, he didn't expect this to happen."

Ken Davidson, TfL’s Head of Bus Operations said there will be a full investigation into the incident.