A teenage girl has been arrested and a murder investigation launched after an 18-year-old man was stabbed several times in Sydenham, dying later in hospital.

Police and ambulance staff were called at 12.08pm yesterday (June 1) to reports of a stabbing in Sydenham High Street outside the Co-op.

News Shopper:

Officers attended and found a man, Nathan Murray, with several stab wounds to his chest.

He was taken to a south London hospital where he died early this morning (June 2). 

A 16 year-old girl from Lewisham has been arrested on suspicion of murder today (June 2) after previously being arrested for grievious bodily harm with intent.

One witness told News Shopper Mr Murray had been cornered outside the supermarket by a group of around six or seven men and a teenage girl.

He said: "As I walked towards the station I saw a group of lads running towards that kid.

"One of them, a bloke, kept saying to a girl 'stab him, stab him'. Then she stabbed him three times and they legged it."

The man added there was increasingly a problem with gangs dealing drugs in the area. He said: "I've lived here for about 10 years and it's really dangerous now."

A witness at the scene said: "The ambulance took a long time to get there and the boy who'd been stabbed was clearly in a lot of pain and losing a lot of blood, he'd been stabbed in the upper left of his chest.

"He had three friends with him who were trying to help by applying pressure to his wounds.

"Amazingly no-one had phoned an ambulance when I got there so I called for ambulance and police, the police arrived within a few minutes but the paramedics took longer and the ambulance was the last to arrive.

"The police then made everyone move back and cordoned off the road and I didn't see anything after that except for them loading him into an ambulance."

News Shopper:

A local resident who did not wish to be named said: "I saw the pavement and road outside the Co-op down to the junction by Mayow Road completely cordoned off by police tape in the shape of a square.

"You couldn't even go up the pavement on the opposite side of the road.

"There were about five police cars, one police van and officers guarding the cordon by the pavement, stopping people from heading up the High Street outside the cake store.

"I then saw two more officers arrive on the scene while more people gathered at the bus station outside the fruit and veg shop."

Mr Murray's former teacher, Shani Adams, told News Shopper: "I met Lil Nathan when he was nine years old I taught him performing arts and I watched him grow ever since. 

"He was a tiny little thing filled with character and a cheeky smile that everybody loved. His laughter, jokes and kind nature will always be missed.

"I wish your family find peace. Rest in perfect peace Lil Nathan."

Hundreds of tributes have also been left to Nathan Murray on social media. 

Pal Coca wrote: "You'll always be "little" Nathan in my heart no matter how big you got. Rest in paradise lil homie."

News Shopper:

Another friend tweeted: "Rip lil nathan. Haven't been on ends to see you much, but still got our memories from when we were likkle yutes. Tired of this s*** man."

And Lewisham grime artist Novelist wrote: "They killed my brother Herbs. I started with him. RIP."

A spokesman for the Met Police said: "Next of kin have been informed. We await formal identification.

"A post-mortem examination will be held in due course.

"Detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command are investigating.

"Anyone with information is asked to contact the incident room on 0208 721 4961. If you wish to remain anonymous please call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."

Police are awaiting formal identification of the deceased but next of kin have been informed

Mr Murray's killing comes one year after another 18 year-old male, James Hunter, was stabbed to death in Wells Park Road, Sydenham.

Would you like to pay tribute to Nathan? Call the newsroom on 01689 885732 or email newsroom@london.newsquest.co.uk