A smoke alarm has saved the lives of New Ash Green residents who left a frying pan in a hot oven.

Fire crews were called to a fire in the kitchen of a house in Bazes Shaw yesterday (February 8) at 3.50pm.

When they arrived fire fighters discovered that the resident had accidentally left a frying pan in the top part of the oven.

The handle had set alight damaging the oven and kitchen units.

A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue Service said: "Fortunately, the house had working smoke alarms which sounded, alerting the residents."

No one was injured in the fire.